Overview of Position:
Primary purposes of this position are to:
1) Manage all HSE programs at the Mapleton site to LANXESS standards, including RC14001, PSM and all regulatory programs. Assist and coordinate in conducting process hazard reviews and ensure proper creation and execution of management of change documents. This position will also work with the site leadership team to develop and maintain a ‘zero-incident’ work culture, and ensure safe work habits and behaviors are practiced by all site employees on a daily basis. The role is responsible for acting as the Responsible Care System management representative for the RC14001system.
2.) Manage all Quality programs at the Mapleton site to LANXESS standards, including ISO9001 and all testing of materials and products to ensure that overall quality control of processes, raw materials, and finished products are aligned with company specifications, regulatory and industry standards while achieving the highest level of customer satisfaction. The role is responsible for acting as the Quality Management System representative for the ISO9001 system.
- Develop, implement and maintain all site specific policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all applicable environmental regulations and company policies.
- Ensure facility’s environmental compliance with all Federal, State, and Local regulations by: updating air permits and acquiring permit issues for all new construction projects.
- Conduct all the necessary inspections and ensure that all appropriate sampling and monitoring activities are completed to maintain compliance.
- Review all capital projects for compliance with all environmental permit and operating conditions and corporate requirements.
- Coordinate waste minimization efforts and waste disposal shipments/activities.
- Serve as the Management Representative for the facility’s RC 14001 Management System.
- In conjunction with the Plant Manager, establish Responsible Care/environmental goals for the facility and institute programs to achieve these goals.
- Ensure that facility personnel are adequately and appropriately trained to perform their duties.
- Responsible for notifications of non-compliance to the relevant authorities and/or site management.
- Monitors new and proposed changes to all HSE regulations pertaining to the site and brings these to the attention of HSE and line management and trains/coaches site management on changes to regulations.
- Supports the management of Responsible Care certification by scheduling audits and coordinating corrective action closure.
- Supports and contributes to incident investigations at their site. Review and share learnings with HSE organization.
- Responsible for managing site HSE documentation to include program design, HSE data collection and posting, training documentation, and HSE KPI reports.
- Contributes to PSM program implementation such as MOC, PSSR, PHA and Contractor training by providing guidance, insights and support to local operations.
- Contributes to the implementation of all aspects of safe working (such as LOTO, hot work permits, contractor management) by providing guidance, insights and support to local operations.
Safety and Health
- Develop, implement and maintain all site specific policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all applicable safety and health regulations.
- Coordinate all industrial hygiene activities such as employee monitoring, hearing protection, etc.
- Insure accurate safety and occupational health annual training activities are conducted.
- Manage the site’s process safety programs, which include reviewing and coordinating all PHS activities, such as the CAR and MOC Hazard Reviews.
- Plan, coordinate, execute, and evaluate projects and programs for Safety and Health, including industry technical programs, meetings, forums, workshops, and special interest groups.
- Organize and coordinate all projects and programs related to Safety and Health
- Maintain the Emergency Response Plan in accordance with regulations and provide required training to staff and hourly workforce.
- Ensure accurate safety records are in place, including a Hazard Communication Plan and up to date MSDS.
- Investigate and track employee and contractor incidents and injuries.
- Maintain database for corrective action items resulting from safety audits, suggestions, inspections, and incident/injury investigations.
- Ensure safety and related committees are active in support of the facility’s safety objectives.
- Serve as main plant liaison with the Global Safety Committee.
- In conjunction with site manager, ensure a secure work environment and that the site security system meets all local and LANXESS requirements, including CFATS requirements.
- Act as the Assistant Site Security Officer for CFATS program.
- Monitors performance and upgrades within QC and/or QA according to company standards that are applicable to ISO 9001 2001, ISO 14001:2004 and integrates quality management systems.
- Leads and/or facilitates cross-functional activities to resolve customer complaints.
- Spearhead all quality investigations, improvements, and resolutions for in-process quality related issues, including the Customer Service Tracking System. This may also include root cause analysis as well as developing, proposing, and monitoring corrective actions.
- Identifies trends and initiates quality alerts, holds, and product recalls when appropriate.
- Provide technical expertise for all chemical and chemical process related material testing, qualifications, and customer certifications (CoAs).
- With Plant Manager support, responsible for ensuring the understanding of quality goals and procedures for all levels and providing training to all personnel regarding quality policies and practices.
- Responsible for coordinating location’s ISO 9001 certification.
- Coordinate responses to customer audits, surveys, and questionnaires.
- Responsible for storage and updates of documentation of methods, formulas, and testing results ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Coordinates any new documentation and its modifications in reference to Sales, Manufacturing, and Customer Specification with Technical Support Group.
- Continually reviews programs and systems to develop and drive improvements in QA efficiency and effectiveness.
- Responsible for ensuring the successful completion of assigned projects within the budgeted time and cost constraints.
- Plans own work to achieve assigned technical goals and is responsible for the relevance of work and the integrity or results.
- Participates in development of the site capital plan.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of occupational safety, environmental, security and waste handling requirements as they apply to their site
- Working knowledge of batch and continuous chemical process operations, quality activities, and quality auditing
- Working knowledge of batch and continuous chemical process operations and environmental engineering principles
- Working knowledge of waste, water, and air standards and permitting
- Experience with direct supervision of outside contractors, design firms, consultant, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with problem solving tools
- Strong technical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Capable of leading or coordinating technical and organizational aspects of projects
- Chemical Engineer or Chemist preferred
- Experience with SAP system preferred
- Six Sigma or Lean Certification desirable
- Ability to professionally work on higher management level after some years in that position
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)